We will finish the seven last sayings:
Seven Last Sayings of Jesus: # 6 John 19:29-30 "It is finished"
"It is finished." The Word tells us there is nothing left for man to do but to enter into the results of Christ's finished work. The Greek word for "finished" was used in business life of the time to indicate that a debt had been paid. It's like the message of a rubber stamp bearing the words 'Payment received' when stamped across a bill. That's what Jesus was proclaiming from the Cross - "it is paid, man's account with God has been settled, the debt is wiped out." That is the very essence of the Gospel. The Redeemer has paid the price for our redemption. Salvation has been obtained for all who accept and rely upon the finished work of Calvary. "A full, perfect and sufficient sacrifice, oblation and satisfaction for the sins of the whole world." Yes, there is victory over sin in the Cross.
Day # 1: ANSWERS:
1) How many years did Jesus live before he was crucified?
The common assertion seems reasonable that if Jesus "began his ministry" when he "was about thirty years of age" (Luke 3:23)
2) How long did Jesus live on the earth?
He engaged in a three-year ministry (John mentions three Passovers, and there might have been a fourth one), then he was 33 years old at the time of his death, therefore living 33 years.
3) Name the six core things Christ accomplished in his death.
1). Expiation: (removal of sin)
2). Propitiation: (removal of God's wrath)
3). Reconciliation: (removal of our alienation from God)
4). Redemption: (accomplished redemption from captivity)
5). Defeat of the Powers of Darkness: (Christ's death was a defeat of the power of Satan)
6). And He did all of this by dying as our Substitute: (He died for sins once and for all, just for the unjust, in order that He might bring us to God)
1. What did they do to Jesus before he was put to death? (a) They whipped him.
2. What was put on Jesus' head? (b) A crown of thorns.
3. Who did Jesus ask to take care of Mary, his mother? (a) John
4. How many hours did it take for Jesus to die on the cross? 6 hours
5. Where was Jesus crucified?
6. What did they offer Jesus to drink as he was crucified?
vinegar mixed with gall
7. When they had crucified him, they divided up his clothes by casting lots. Which prophet prophesied that this would happen?
Prophesied: "They divide My garments among them and cast lots upon My vesture" (Psa. 22:18).
Fulfilled: "Then they said to one another, 'Let us not tear it, but let us cast lots for it to determine whose it shall be'; that the Scripture might be fulfilled, which says, 'They divided My garments among them, and they cast lots for My vesture.' Therefore the soldiers did these things" (John 19:24).